Wednesday 17 October 2012

Week 38 - Tarte Bourguignonne

This is a take on the classic tart Bourdaloue ( poached pears cooked in almond cream). The combination of the red wine, spices, pears and the rich chocolate almond cream make this very wintery dessert perfect - Eric Lanlard Home Bake.
Faff Factor = 6
Bake = 7
Keeping Up Appearances = 8
Total score = 21/30
Oooh  how posh I hear you say, Tarte Bourguignonne - or in other words Pear Tart for us mere mortals.  I really enjoyed this bake, however it did take a long time and quite a bit of faff.  I only had small dessert pears which I soaked in the syrup of red wine, cinnamon and vanilla.  However I don't think my syrup was thick enough as the pears were a little wet once baked, you only learn by the mistakes so next time round I will make sure I heat until a thicker syrup is achieved and buy the recommended pears (ideally Williams).
The filling was a combination of butter, sugar, almonds and cocoa powder which you whisk up and fill the pastry case before arranging the pears on top.
I was rather pleased with my pastry and fill confident enough to say it tasted pretty darned good but I will admit if I make this again I would use pre-made pastry just to cut down on the faff but I will always keep my hand in and make my own every now and then.
I also enjoyed this tart once straight out of the oven, the filling was a light fluffy mousse texture cream and the pears are to savour warm.
I think I'm safe in saying I won't be giving Valerie Pattiserie a run for their money but I'm glad I gave it a go and will look for another french pattiserie recipe before my challenge is over, or I could give the dreaded profiteroles a go again!
Off to watch The Great British Bake Off final.
Toot toot.
Lynetta Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment