Tuesday 11 December 2012

Week 44 - Flourless Chocolate Cake

For all those avioding wheat this cake is for you.  If you want to try this cake as a pudding serve it topped
with raspberries and a coulis - Fiona Cairns Bake and Decorate
Faff Factor = 7
Bake = 7
Keeping Up Appearances = 7
Total score = 21/30
mm, I'm reserving a little judgment on this cake. I don't quite know what to make of it.  My first attempt was rather poor as this was the first cake I cooked in my new oven, which by the way I am having a terrible time with trying to get the correct temperature for a constant length of time.  This is making my baking a little unpleasant at the moment, however I digress, back to the cake. It's kind of dense but light, heavy but not solid and very very sweet. I personally did not like the taste but once again the boys did.
This is the first flourless cake I have made and the technique to bring it all together was rather interesting.  You need to mix butter, chocolate and sugar over a pot of simmering water then add almonds and leave to cool.  Seperate the eggs and whisk up the whites with sugar. Beat in the yolks to chocolate mixture then offer the eggs and gently mix in.  I'm glad I gave it a go as I've not used this method before so another tick in the box.
I think this cake would make a great after dinner pudding with some spruced up cream or as suggested in the book some raspberries, as on it's own it is rather too chocolatey.
I am so far behind now with my challenge and I know it will roll into the new year but I'm not stressing about it, life and other things are taking my time at the moment but I will succeed, I'm not a quitter. 
I've a few things planned to bake over the christmas so hopefully I will be back to more regular updates and reports.
Keep smiling
Lynetta Xx
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment