Friday 4 January 2013

Week 46 - Christmas Slice Traybake

Christmas slice traybake - from the book Cookies, Muffins and Cakes
Faff Factor = 9
Bake = 8
Keeping Up Appearances = 9
Total score = 26/30
With the breakdown of my cooker and the long wait fo receive my new one I missed the opportunity to bake a Christmas cake this year. I had high hopes and plans to make a spectacular one and even decided on the design too, good job I didn't bake one as with being given 6 boxes of chocolates, 2 boxes of biscuits and a tin of Ameretto biscuits I just don't think I could of eaten anything else.
But Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a Christmas cake so I scoured my books and went to one I've not used before, Cookies, Muffins and Cakes.  It's a fab book and includes many recipes for traybakes which I've not really given a thought to, until now. 
This bake is a brilliant throw it all in mix and bake. I've heard this method can sometimes make for a dry cake but I wasn't dissappointed one little bit. I topped the cake with a very thin layer of marzipan, a thin layer of foundant icing and I finally used some sprinkles my friend Sarah bought back for me from her Disney trip last year .
All in all a quick bake.  I will make this again next year and will be including my grand design on top so watch this space in December.  When I do bake again I will soak the fruit for an hour or two just to get some moisture and another flavour into the cake.  It was not dry but I felt lacking something to give it the special Mmmmm..
A great litte cake that lasted over the christmas period.  I'm glad I cut into very small slices as it  was easy to eat with a cuppa without feeling guilty.  I know a few friends found them pleasing when popping round to.
Off to try and get some energy to bake the last 6 cakes for my challenge.
Toodle Pip
Lynetta Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment