Thursday 18 August 2011

Jolly Jaunt #1

Working in a school I suppose alot of people would say I am lucky to get 6 weeks holiday for the summer (plus numerous other weeks over the year).  However, if you are like me and love a routine it can take a couple of weeks to get used to no alarm waking you at 6am, no lunch boxes (hoorray) and no rush rush rush.  So with this in mind we decided to take our week's holiday immediatley from when school ended just to try and get me into holiday mode.
This year we decided to go abroad (normally we go camping but more on that later), we visited friends in Alhaurin el Grande in Southern Spain, friends we have not seen for over 10 years,  friends to get re-aquainted with. 
Boy was it hot! 42 degrees and rising everyday, and having to stay indoors to at least 5 o'clock when the weather cooled down as both myself and J suffered terribly from prickly heat.  We were so grateful for the dipping pool, a sure quick way to keep cool and to stop the itching.

We managed to venture into Mijas very early one morning, it's a beautiful Spanish White village but a little too touristy for me with horse drawn carriages and inflated prices for food.  Mijas has one of the last Bull Rings, our host Steve told us the history of Bull Fighting, but he also told us what goes on behind the scenes and I must say I will never want to see a Bull Fight and agree with many animal activists that this sport should be banned.  I took some lovely photo's of Mijas and the one that typifies Spanish life for me is the old men sitting in the town square having their daily natter. (Nothing like a good natter)
 

We also went into Fuengirola to experience the market! A few 'tat' bargains but none of reasonable quality that I wanted to part my hard earned cash on.
It was a lovely week of doing nothing but reading, relaxing and eating with my family and good friends. We are looking forward to our next visit very soon.

TTFN
Lynetta

No comments:

Post a Comment