Wednesday 14 March 2012

Week 9 - Monkey Bread

Quote from book:  This is a great way for children to start making bread. Serve warm, thickly sliced, or toasted.
Faff Factor =8
Bake = 9
Keeping Up Appearances = 9
Total score = 26/30
My second attempt at making bread from the book and with better results first time.  I was a little sceptical about the quote from the book as it's listed as an easy bake for kids so I was more than happy it turned out right with no distasters.  I will admit to using Ken to make the dough, trusty old Ken.  I really enjoyed rolling the 70+ balls of dough, dipping in melted butter and rolling in the cinnamon sugar and walnut mix and then plopping into my bundt tin.  Turning it out was a breeze and we all got tucked in straight away ripping pieces off whilst it was still warm and sticky. 
I think the recipe needs to be adjusted a little as I would have preferred more cinnamon and less walnuts and I've noted this for next time.  I will also admit that I could not slice mine as suggested and realised that perhaps I needed to squish and squash it together a litte more before baking.  So all in all another lesson learned this week :-)  I do love it when I learn something new.
Moving swiftly along that leads me onto next weeks bake.  After my little jolly bakers jaunt at the weekend and purchasing Peggy's book I really want to have a go at a celebration cake and so I have decided my 52 week challenge will now include other recipes from other books (sorry Mary) I will let you know what book I will be baking from as and when I post the results.  I'm still up for the challenge and will more than likely bake more from the GGBO book than any other but I want to gain more experience in other techniques and recipes other bakers can offer.
And come to think of it, I really need to have a go at pastry - yikes -  now that it scaring me!
Toodle Pip
Lynetta Xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment