Wednesday 4 April 2012

Circle of Friends

For the last 5 years I have run an after school club for Year 6's.  It's called 'Circle of Friends' and I help them create a memory album where each week they are shown a different technique along the lines of scrapbooking, whether this is paper piecing, stamping or doodle work.  This year (and last) the theme was cupcakes as they are all a trend at the moment.  It's great to work with a group of girls who are enthusiastic and creative and I am very happy that I am giving something back to the community and hopefully show my passion for paper and scissors.
At the end of the 6 weeks they will have a piece of artwork from other members of the club plus their own page called 'This is me'.  I always comment to the girls that in 20 years time you'll find this book amongst all the boxes in the loft and it will be a smile to your face not to mention bring back some fond memoires of being 10 years old. ( that's what I am hoping for).
Over the Easter break I then get to work collating and sticking together the books, making them a page with a group photo (so they have a piece of my artwork too) and make something special to keep the books in.
I've made 8 of these little bags (9 more to do). My little sewing machine worked it's overtime today as each bag takes on overage 15 mins to put together and that's not including the cutting out of the felt pieces.  It's all worth it in the end though, to see the smiling faces and the hugs and 'thanks' I get when I present the girls with their books is worth it no end.
Happy days.
Lynetta Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment