Sunday 29 April 2012

Week 15 - Orange Drizzle Cake with Chocolate Ganache

Quote & recipe from HERE: If you like Jaffa Cakes, you’ll love the moist, fruity cake.
It will keep for a week, but it’s unlikely to last that long
Faff Factor =8
Bake = 8
Keeping Up Appearances = 8
Total score = 24/30
This week I decided to pay homage to the humble Jaffa Cake.  I trawled the internet for a Jaffa Cake recipe and decided the jelly part was too much of a faff and then stumbled across this recipe.  Mmmm mmmm.  It's like a lemon drizzle but using orange syrup with the zest of oranges included in the bake and smothered with a Bournville ganache (no other chocolate would have complimented the zangy orange taste in my opnion). 
I was not dissappointed with this bake, and neither are the boys, however I'm only marking an 8 for the bake because I think the drizzle could have drizzled more into the cake, lesson learned - make more holes for the drizzle to drizzle. 
The texture is more of a maderia cake so can withstand you slicing a piece and eating without the aid of a fork, just what you need with a cuppa on this really miserable rainy Sunday.
Even though I have not topped this with a jelly it really tastes like a Jaffa cake, but more grown up.
So that's another one to my favourite collection and a copy in my own recipe file.  I did toy with the idea of baking Peggy Porchens Boozy Orange cake but thought I would leave that to more of an occasion so I can really faff.
I also remarked to Ian yesterday that I have now baked 15 different cakes/breads/pastry (notice the single tense here) this year alone and would not of thought that possible if I had not set myself this challenge.  So only 37 more recipes to find and I'm done :-)
Toot toot,
Lynetta Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment