Wednesday 20 June 2012

Week 22 - Traditional Trifle

Quote from a book (Hairy Biker's Mum Know's Best) -
This fresh fruit trifle may take a little time to make, but it's worth the effort.
Faff Factor = 7
Bake = 7
Keeping Up Appearances = 9
Total score = 23/30
I know , I know I've been a little behind with my baking but I have good reason for this which I'll explain a little later but back to this week's bake.  As it was Father's Day on Sunday I had no idea what to get my dad (at the age of 72 it becomes more difficult year after year to know what to buy not only for birthday's and Christmas but also Dad's day) and knowing he has a very sweet tooth I decided I would make him a good old fashioned Trifle (he always makes the Birds instant one).  As I wanted to bake from the numerous books I am slowly, or should I say quickly, aquiring I searched through them all and decided to give The Hairy Bikers Mums Know Best book a try.  I followed the recipe to the letter and was mighty impressed with how it turned out.
It is a little faff having to wait between making the jelly and letting it set then making the custard and letting that set before topping with the cream but if you plan your day right you can get alot of things done inbetween the setting process.  I started making the jelly at 8am and finished the trifle by 8pm so quite achievable if ever you wanted to make one for a dinner party (as if I get invited or host a dinner party).
I must say I've never made custard before and found the whole process really easy and the taste is so different to tinned or fresh custard you can buy in the supermarkets I think I will make the effort to make my own in futre.
My only ciritism for this bake (or should I say set) is the finished trifle was rather large and perhaps next time I would half the ingredients to make a more modest one, but then I should of known considering it was a Hairy Biker recipe, just love watching those guys cook though).
The another thing I Iearned this week was the quick method of making a jelly, empty the packet contents in a heatproof jug, add a little water and zap in microwave which dissolves the jelly cubes then top up with cold water to make a pint.  Easy and just the right consistency to make a wibbly wobbly jelly :-)
I would recommend anyone to make a fresh trifle at some point in their baking life as it was very very delicious and very very traditional.
Toot toot
Lynetta Xx
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment