Monday 25 June 2012

Week 23 - Old Harry Rock Cakes

Quote from a book -  An extra spicy, fruity variety of rock cake.
Faff Factor = 8
Bake = 8
Keeping Up Appearances = 9
Total score = 25/30
Can you see that little book in the picture?  I'm sure many of you will recognise this brand of book as they are everywhere in shops all along the south coast and are regional to the area you are in - not having travelled all around this fair isle I am sure they are in and around other areas too.  I've always called them those 'Little Tourist Cook Books' :-)  and have been meaning to pick one up for a few years so when we were in Christchurch the other week I bought for the pricely sum of £1.99 the Favourite Dorset Recipes book. (I think I may start a little collection now, I like collecting things).  It is such a lovely little cook book with delightful paintings included of the area the book relates too.  It's even inspired me to have a go at water colour painting, something I've been wanting to learn to do since school days when I painted a sky and sea picture, but I digress.
This week I decided I needed something small and tea time size.  I considered scones but they can keep for an afternoon tea session when the weather gets a little better, so flicking through the book I settled on some rock cakes.
Now having only baked rock cakes twice before, the first time they really resembled their name and could of been used for missiles at a riot somewhere and the second time I was more successful as I was given a fool proof recipe by a work collegue but this recipe is slightly different. 
As the description states they are extra spicy (mine were double extra spicy as I added a full 1/2 teaspoon more of cinnamon - I've got to spice up my life you now).  It was tough going as I needed to rub in the butter to the flour to make a breadcrumb consistency and even mentioned to Ian about having a food processor but then I think it would take alot of enjoyment out of baking by hand don't you think?  I was a little concerned too about how wet the dough was and considered adding more flour but I am so glad I stuck to the recipe as the result was a success.
With not too much faff, just a little time consuming rubbing the butter in but after that, bish bash bosh all done and baked within 30 minutes and on my plate with a delightful cup of tea.
Yes they are more spicey than my other recipe and maybe a little heavier as you use brown sugar so would consider these more of a winter rock cake however I now have a nice tin full of these little gems for our lunch boxes and no-one is going to grumble about  that :-)
Wishing you all a happy day
Lynetta Xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment