Friday 11 May 2012

Week 17 - Flapjack's

Quote from book: There was a little girl that when she was good, she was very, very good,
and when she was bad, she made a batch of flapjacks and devoured the whole lot herself!?
Faff Factor = 9
Bake = 9
Keeping Up Appearances = 9
Total score = 27/30
Whilst out shopping with my friend Sarah on Saturday we went into M&S (as you do!) and at the entrance to the food hall a lady was giving away little nibbles of their little nibbles, one being the flapjack, so in tribute to the humble flapjack I thought I would give them a go as my challenge this week.  You see, I only started to bake 2 years ago and I'm sure some of you may be thinking this is a really easy challenge but I have been rightly informed that even flapjack's can go wrong being too thick, dry and crumbly. 
After searching out a recipe in my many books I decided this week I will bake from Lorraine Pascale's Baking Made Easy book.  Looking at different recipes it also became clear that different chef's have different favoured ingredient with Lorraines being lemon zest.  For some reason I remembered Sarah saying that she cannot find a recipe for chewy flapjacks - Sarah, this is the one!.  I must admit I may have added a little bit extra on the syrup front - not too much just a little- and can honestly say these are near as damn it the same as M&S, hence the high score (thank you Lorraine)
They didn't last long though (all of one day) and need to make another batch pretty soon as lunchbox treats for Jack and for picnic days ahead if this weather decides to cheer itself up and begin to behave like Spring - please!
Have a fun weekend.  I have a request for a syrup cake from another new book by the WI!
TTFN
Lynetta Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment