Wednesday 11 July 2012

Week 25 - Hollywood Scones

Quote -  A simple recipe for soft and fluffy scones that are perfect with jam and plenty of clotted cream
Paul Hollywood Recipe HERE
Faff Factor = 7
Bake = 9
Keeping Up Appearances = 9
Total score = 25/30
For this week's bake I wanted to tease the sun out of the sky and convince it it is summer time here in the UK (is anyone else really fed up with all this wet weather?) and there's nothing like a freshly baked scone with jam and clotted cream. Please Mr Sunshine come out and play we all want you to visit us!
Mr Paul Hollywood has just realeased a new book - he is such a dish and can come and bake with me anyday! - mine is waiting to be delivered but in the meantime I decided to search for his scone recipe online. 
I've only ever baked scones twice before, the first time a total disaster using a packet mix and my second attempt turned out just ok, but these - yum yum yum.  I was rather pleased with how they looked too and am now wondering if it has something to do with the flour as you use strong flour.
My scones tasted more of a bun than a crumbly scone but I'm liking that and did not turn out soft and fluffy as the description quoted but then I may have over baked as my oven is being very tempermental lately.  I made a batch of 8 normal sized scones and 6 very little bite sized ones using the 1 3/4" cutter, they were so lovely to eat, just spread the cream and jam and pop into your mouth for an instant hit.  I will have to remember to make this size again when I'm doing an afternoon tea.
If you do give this recipe a go I would recommend not to add all of the milk as it makes a very very wet dough which needed more than the 50g of flour you reserve for kneading but one things for sure I will be making these time and time again as I love the result. Let me know if you have success with this recipe too.
Happy Baking :-)
Lynetta Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment