Thursday 16 August 2012

Week 30 - Two Chocolate Zebra's

Quote from book -  These incredibly rich, stripey shortbread biscuits are perfect with a cup of coffee. 
 - The Great British Bake Off How to Bake.
Faff Factor = 5
Bake = 7
Keeping Up Appearances = 8
Total score = 20/30
This week I decided to bake a biscuit for my challenge as I was a little strapped for time.  I've never made shortbread so decided to push the boat out and make these little morsels.  Talk about faff and loads of washing up! If you are planning on making these please allow yourselves plenty of time. Nearly 2 hours of it, just for a biscuit!
After making the basic dough you then have to divide into 2 and add the melted dark chocolate to one and the melted white chocolate to the other, roll out and chill.  After 20 minutes you need to construct the brick shape alternating the white and dark, then chill.  Then you have to cut into slices and chill.  See, alot of faffing and waiting, you have been warned if you want to make these :-)
I am in two minds with the end result though as they may look aesthetically pleasing but the taste was rather bland. I have learned 2 things this week on my challenge.  First I would of omitted the vanilla essence and added chocolate essence instead to give them more of a boost on the chocolatey front and secondly I would of used a serrated knife to cut into the dough when slicing as the brown chocolate dough pulled through the white dough so it did not look as pleasing as the picture in the book. 
Obviously I will need to bake these again to put these findings into practice.
Happy Thursday's
Lynetta Xx
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment