Thursday 23 August 2012

Week 31 - Dorset Apple Cake

Quote from book -  This is still the pirde of the county. 
 - The Women's Institute vintage teatime book.
Faff Factor = 8
Bake = 6
Keeping Up Appearances = 8
Total score = 24/30
Dorset is one of my favourite Counties.  When I retire it is at the top of my list to move to if and when we downsize.  Basically I just love Dorset.  One of the cakes I notice a lot when visiting is Dorset Apple cake and have tasted one or two on my travels so obviously it was on my list of things to bake during my challenge. 
I decided to use the WI Vintage Teatime recipe which is near on the exact same recipe as the little book I picked up on my last visit to Christcurch in which I baked the Old Harry Rock cakes on week 23 here.  The only difference being the WI grate the apples and the little book cut into chunks. The rest of the mix came together really easy and I'm getting quite a dab hand at rubbing butter into the flour and making breadcrumbs.  I'm still coveting a food processor though!
The house was smelling really lovely with the bake and I was rather pleased with the look however very dissapointed with the taste which sadly it lacked.  I used the best ingredients as always so that eliminates that theory and so I am thinking it can only be the recipe.  My friend Sarah asked if the recipe had any cinnamon or spices in the cake which neither of them do, perhaps this was the problem? 
If you have been following me with my bakes as you know I am not changing the original recipes as I am making notes to change things for the next time. I would be interested to know if there are any more recipes for Dorset Apple cake, is it a regional cake like with Cornish Pasties where different areas use a different recipe?  
I think I will have to surf the net to try and find out or I could just wait and talk to someone in the baking tent at The Dorset County Show in a few weeks time, I am really looking forward to my day out :-)
Will keep you posted and if anyone can share a great recipe I would be very grateful.
TTFN
Lynetta Xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment